Monday, February 7, 2022

1.2.2 Web and Internet Facts

In section 1.2.2 we learned about a few general web facts such as IP Addresses, ISP, and HTML are. Before taking this class, I generally knew what an IP Address was but not what it's actual function is. So now I know that each computer has an already assigned Internet Protocol address. In addition, I learned what the Internet of Things mean and realized that I constantly use this in my daily life. Internet of Things generally means that a physical device which has connection to the internet and is able to communicate shared data through things such as barcodes or QR codes. Ever since the pandemic started and few restaurants and bars have physical menus anymore to avoid more than one person touching the same menu. So barcodes and QR codes are now how you access most menus when you go out nowadays. I scan the code on my phone and their menu pops up on my safari instantly.

15 comments:

  1. Glad you learned the purpose of IP addresses from Chapter 1 Online Essentials :-)

    There are many more internet concepts and terms!

    I will cover some of them later in the semester ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wait till we can upload ourselves into some sort of virtual reality lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. QR codes are interesting in that way. They have a code inside the box and the phone just knows that code. It's interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I felt kind of embarrassed when I realized I'd used the internet forever and didn't know what an IP address was...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've noticed that at restaurants now with the QR codes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think QR code is one of the cooler things of late. I don't remember seeing a QR code prior to the pandemic. Not saying that it has not been around, just saying that I don't remember seeing it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think QR codes are very helpful sometimes because I like to have a clean table and easy access to the menu without having to ask for it again, even though it isn't a big inconvenience.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, QR codes became very popular since the pandemic. But be careful when you go to public places before you scan, check to make sure the code hasn't been tampered with.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is interesting how little we know about the technology we use everyday. I also know what an IP address is but I also never really understood its purpose. QR codes are helpful but you have to be careful to make sure it is legitimate.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yes the popular QR code menus. They are helpful as long as your internet works on your phone. My tends to not work so well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the use of QR codes for menus, keeps germs from spreading from unclean menus.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I remember thinking that QR codes were silly when they first came out, because I didn't have a phone that could recognize them at the time. But now they're super neat and I get excited when I get to show off for my mom haha.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like using QR codes when I am out. I prefer the online menus over the actual menus anyway, less germs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Especially ever since Covid started, so many restaurants and coffee shops use QR codes now, and I find it so cool you have the ability to see everything. I know some places have those fine prints that thanks to QR codes, it is easier to read now.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The online menus make it easier to look up anything you don't know too!

    ReplyDelete