Saturday, February 12, 2022

2.5.7 ISP Service Types

Within this section I learned the different types of internet connections that there has been. When the internet first came out, dial up was the form of internet connection. When you wanted internet connection then, you would need to make a phone call to the ISP. Dial up uses analog signals to send internet connection to the computer, while it does so, a loud sound is made which literally means it's making the connection. One of the down sides to dial up is that internet connection is slower. DSL internet connection is similar to dial up because both use a phone connection. But with DSL you are able to use both the phone and internet at the same time, unlike with dial up. In this section, I also learned what fiber optic  connection is. With fiber optic connection, it send signal with light rather than with electricity. Fiber optic connection is far quicker than DSL and dial up. One of it's only down sides is that, fiber optic is very expensive, therefore its still not used as often as other connections. 

Last Monday, a sales representative from Cox came to the office where I work. Since I'm the receptionist, the majority of the people who come into the office, I deal with. That unfortunately includes sales people who try to pitch their ideas to the company I work at. About 95% of them give their sales pitch to me. So when the Cox rep came in, his pitch was regarding us transferring over to optic fiber service type because they were having a "promotion" on this form of internet connection. As he is explaining what optic fibers had to offer, I was just surprised I knew exacting everything he was talking about and afterwards I was able to give a summation of the cox promotion to my coworkers to see if we were interested.

14 comments:

  1. So wonderful to hear you are able to apply what you learned from Chapter 2 to your workplace :-)

    Later in the semester in an upcoming lecture/presentation, I will cover many topics related to the Internet. One of those topics is the evolution of the Internet Service Providers (ISP).

    ReplyDelete
  2. "That unfortunately includes salespeople..."

    That line really resonated with me. I used to physically cringe when one of those folks would come in, because I knew that we weren't interested, and I knew...that he knew that, too. But I still had to stand there and listen to the man's pitch. Politely.

    Masks really helped hide my facial expressions during those incidents; I was really glad to be wearing one at those times, actually.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know it's your job to listen to sales representatives, so sorry that you do, but I just tell them that we aren't interested and pretty much tell them to go away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait for web3, decentralized internet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I learnt a lot in that lesson. Especially about dial up to connect to the internet. Did not know that was how it started.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Many people used to come to my parents house for a sales pitch as well or their new promotion so much that my parents got a sign that says "No Soliciting You're on Camera" and I just thought it was funny and practical at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is pretty cool to be able to understand something so complex because you've learned it. makes what the cox guy is saying more interesting because you understand.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just bought a house in Sky Canyon area of Las Vegas a few months ago and the HOA states no soliciting, but that doesn't stop ADT, Solar, and many other companies from continuing to pitch sales at our doorstep. It is really annoying because they are trained to not take no for an answer so I end up having to be rude to get them to leave. That aside yeah I didn't know much about Fiber prior to this class.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think its great that you are getting more knowledgeable about computer topics this is especially important when dealing with salespeople who often prey on the fact that they are more knowledgeable than you are. This is true for any salesperson but is especially true when in come to computer products.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Every 90s kid knows that AOL sound. I am thinking of changing my internet provider and the good think is that now I can understand some of what they are talking about for when I look for a new provider.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is pretty cool being able to understand and comment on topics that were basically a foreign language just a few months ago.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OH wow that's super awesome! I'm trying to make the same pitch to my family since our internet is kind of slow at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yeah its nice being able to understand conversations that would have confused us before

    ReplyDelete